Thursday, July 27, 2006

 

F-440 push rod

Getting the rear F-440 push rod in was a puzzle. It runs from the bottom of the rear stick to the bellcrank half way down the fuselage. You can just see it in this picture....


...and also in this one.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9550

Posted by PicasaI asked what I should do, in the above link, and then did something different. I hope my fellow builders don't stop answering all my dumb questions in the future! They are a great source of confidence. My solution has been to cut a narrow gap in the top of the F-407 bulkhead. On the face of it this takes a lot of strength out of the structure, but in fact the plans show no join between the upper faces of this bulkhead above the push rod hole. (I might in fact put a removable strap to tie the two sides together. Then it will be stronger than shown in the plans.) With this bit removed, the rod just drops into place. I am advised that when I set the ailerons up I will have to enlarge the F-406 hole to allow full travel and this would also have allowed installation, but I was nervous of flexing the rod in view of some history. See : http://www.matronics.com/searching/getmsg_script.cgi?INDEX=31419437?KEYS=f-440?LISTNAME=RV?HITNUMBER=4?SERIAL=03075512942?SHOWBUTTONS=YES

As a complete aside, you can also see I have put a small drain hole in the floor. I hate doing this but I think water could leak in and collect here. Better it gets away. That's .0001 knots lost of my top speed!

Finally, while I am on safety issues, I have included this picture. You can see that I have locking wire installed on the flap motor. DON'T FORGET THIS!!!!

I haven't done it up yet since I am sure these parts will go in and out many many times before I go flying!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?