Sunday, July 23, 2006

 

Don't forget to lock wire the flap motor!

Posted by Picasa A posting on VANSairforce read,

"The other day on medium final my flaps (electric) went from full deflection to 0 deflection in an instant with a soft thud. I went around and checking things out and determined that I the motor was moving but the flaps weren't. An uneventful landing was made. "



See http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=9458 for the full thread.

I was pretty sure I knew what the problem was, since I had built a -9A, and those plans ask you to lock wire the flap motor - see Detail E in the bottom LH corner.

Its a pity though that VANS don't have the same care for RV4 drivers. My flap motor plans for the -4 only came last year, and dont have this reminder! I had forgotten, and see no reason why I would have remembered in the next two years prior to flying. I hope this is helpful to someone else.



Postscript 14 April '07 - Finally a service bulletin has come out concerning this issue. See http://vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb07-4-12.pdf

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?